customs related FAQ's
- Where does my load/items need customs clearing ?
- Your items will need Customs clearance (Export) from the country the items are leaving and customs clearance (import )in the country your items are going to (so that is 2 sets of Clearance )
- If my items are travelling though France do they also need clearance in France ?
No as they will be transiting though in this example France and in our case we will transit them on a T1 form
- Is it once customs clearance per vehicle ?
No it is per load , so in the case of a mover if we have say 4 customers goods on board the van then that is 4 x customs clearance at each end (in the UK and Spain)
- do you make any money on the customs clearance fees ?
No the price you are quoted for the customs broker fee/price is paid via us to our customs brokers for their services
- Are the Customs Brokers and HMRC the same ?
No the customs brokers are licenced company licenced (by their relevant governments) to preform the customs clearance paperwork and functions as part of the process and are not government staff (this is true also for Spain France etc
- Is there Duty on my personal belongs / contents of a house move ?
No but there may be IVA in Spain (Spanish Vat ) based on the value of the goods or Uk vat on the Goods when returned to the UK (Please note that in some situations duty may be charged)
- But isn't Vat/IVA Duty?
No Duty is some times also called Tariffs but it is separate to Vat or Iva
- What is the top rate of Spanish IVA?
It is 21%
- Will my goods/belongs be inspected by a customs officer?
Yes there is that possibility that they will be inspected by a customs officer, not all vehicles going though a customs station will be checked but there is of course a chance your items will be selected to be checked
- Is the Transit time due to all the extra customs related things increased ?
Yes before Brexit we worked on 2-3 days a leg/stage of the trip now we are working on 3-4 days per stage of the trip, as it takes time to physically clear at the Spanish customs which must be done out bound if loaded from Spain and inbound into Spain
- so what is the T1 form ?
The T1 form is used to allow none EU goods to Transit from their point of origin outside the EU though European to their destination country where they will get customs Clear
- So if I load my car will I be subject to customs rules and Customs Clearance ?
Yes all items crossing the boarder no mater if in a car , van or Lorry , container etc are subject to customs related laws
Drop a comment with any customs related questions you might have related to your move